Basil oil is great because its versatile and tasty. Make some up and keep it in the fridge for a week or two, you will find plenty of uses for it.
- 2 cups of fresh basil leaves (tightly packed)
- 1 cup of good quality olive oil
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- Blanch the basil leaves in a bowl of boiled water for about a minute, then transfer to a bowl of chilled water for about 5 minutes. Remove from bowl, squeeze all excess water from the leaves then leave on paper towel to dry for a few minutes.
- Blend the basil leaves, oil and salt.
- Transfer to a bowl or jar and store in the fridge.
While in the fridge the mixture may separate slightly which is ok, you can give it a stir or simply take from the top or bottom depending on the density you are after.