This is my standard Taco recipe. I love it because they are so easy to make and so tasty. You can also vary the recipe to suit your taste so if you like it hot just add more chilli.
- 2-3 large tomatoes (Medium diced)
- 1 avocado (Smashed with a little lemon juice)
- 2 cups lettuce (Medium sliced)
- 2 cups tasty cheese (Grated)
- 500g lean beef mince
- 2 cloves garlic (Crushed)
- 1 Tsp Mexican chilli powder (Mild to Medium strength is kid friendly)
- 1 Tsp ground cumin seeds
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 1.5 Tbs tomato paste
- 440g tinned kidney beans (rinsed well and drained)
- Taco shells
- Olive oil
- Pre heat oven to 180C
- Place tomatoes, avocado, lettuce and cheese in serving bowls and put aside.
- Heat some oil in a saucepan on a medium-high heat then add beef, garlic, Mexican chilli powder, cumin and salt. Stir occasionally and work the mixture to ensure there are no big clumps of beef. When beef is browned reduce heat so any liquid is simmering and add the sugar and tomato paste. Stir thoroughly, then cook until there is no obvious liquid on the bottom of the pan.
- Add kidney beans and mix through, then turn off the heat.
- Place taco shells in the oven for 5-6 minutes.
- Transfer meat to a serving bowl and place taco shells on a serving plate.
- To serve place all the bowls and any additional condiments on the table – everyone makes their own. Enjoy!