This is traditional bruschetta as I learned it in Italy.
- 4 slices of thick cut sour dough bread
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, medium diced
- 1/2 red onion, fine diced
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled, but not damaged
- Salt and pepper
- In a bowl gently mix tomato, onion, basil, vinegar and oil, season with salt and pepper then set aside in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Toast or grill the bread until golden brown on both side and place on a plate.
- While the bread is still warm rub the upward side with a clove of garlic using about half a clove per slice.
- Remove the tomato mixture from the fridge and mix again. Spoon onto the toasted bread and eat immediately!
- Higher quality oil and vinegar will generally taste much better
- I use white balsamic vinegar for appearances, but normal balsamic is fine.
- I like vine ripened tomatoes, but Roma or any ripe fresh tomato is fine.