If you are prepared to spend a little time making your own the rewards are there. Its also a fun activity to get kids involved in.
- 1 kg potatoes
- 200 g plain flour
- Wash and boil the potatoes until cooked, but not overcooked.
- Cool the potatoes, then peel before passing them through a potato ricer of sieve. Add the flour and a good sprinkle of salt before mixing all together by hand to form a dough like ball.
- Divide the ball into 4 and roll each quarter on a floured bench into a long tube (1.5-2cm diameter). Cut the tube into short lengths (2.5-3cm each) and place each piece on a floured board to rest until ready for cooking (20-30 minutes is good).
- To cook, add the pieces of gnocchi to boiling water in small handfuls stirring gently after each addition to ensure seperation. As pieces are cooked they will rise to the top where they should be removed within a couple of minutes. If they overcook they will become mushy!
- Serve with a sauce or as required by another recipe.
The pieces of gnocchi are very delicate so handle them carefully.
If you don’t need the full quantity you can put the extras in a container in the fridge or freezer.