A great winter warmer and you can dial the flavour up or down to suit your taste. I love the intense flavour of the deeply roasted pumkin with the extra hit from the curry.
- 1 kg pumpkin (cubed)
- 1 Tbs Red curry paste (more if you like)
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 440g tin of coconut cream
- Olive oil
- Garlic salt
- Spread pumpkin on an oven tray in a single layer, drizzle with oil and sprinkle salt. Then place tray in an oven preheated to 180C until pumpkin turns a deep orange colour and gets a few slightly burnt edges.
- Heat a saucepan on a medium heat with a little oil. When hot add the curry paste and sugar and stir for a minute to release the flavour. Then add the water and pumpkin. Use a wooden spoon to mash the pumpkin and break it up. Add about half the tin of coconut cream.
- When you have a thick lumpy soup you need to blend it. I use a stick mixer (Bamix or similar) to blend in the saucepan, but you can transfer to a blender. Return the soup to the saucepan and keep stirring while adding more coconut cream til you get the desired consistency.
- Garnish to taste and serve with crusty bread.